Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Emergency Contact Information for US Citizens

Very Important Notice

Please note that beginning Wednesday, March 27th, 2013, the Consular section will be closed to the public on the last Wednesday of each month.  Therefore, applications for visa and passport renewals, as well as immigrant visa comebacks, will not be accepted.  We apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause.

Emergency Contacts

U.S. Embassy, Yaoundé, Cameroon
Telephone: (237) 22220-1500
Facsimile: (237) 22220-1572

The mailing address of the U.S. Embassy is P.O. Box 817, Yaoundé, Cameroon

The U.S. Embassy in Yaoundé is located on Avenue Rosa Parks in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mount Febe Golf Club.

Embassy Branch Office, Douala, Cameroon
Telephone: (237) 23342-5331
Facsimile: (237) 23342-7790. 

The Embassy Branch Office in Douala is located on the corner of Rue Ivy and Rue French in the Ecobank Building in Bonanjo.
Embassy Branch Office FAQs sheet

Emergency Services

American Citizen Services hours:

  • Tuesday & Thursday: 1:00pm – 3:00pm -------- Appointments
  • Friday: 9:00am – 11:00am -----------------------Appointments & products’ pick up

Please note, that if a monetary transaction needs to be made, the cashier closes 30 minutes prior to the hours listed above.  After hours during the week and on weekends, a duty officer is available for emergencies only.


When the Consular Section is advised that an American has been arrested, a consular officer visits the American as soon as possible, provides information regarding the local legal system and a list of attorneys, and offers other assistance such as contacting family or friends on the prisoner’s behalf, arranging to transfer private funds for delivery to American prisoners, and arranging dietary food supplements and/or medical care through a U.S. Government loan. Although consular officers can provide informative and supportive assistance, they cannot arrange for the release of an American from detention, nor serve as the prisoner’s legal representative, or intervene in the foreign judicial process.

Please contact the American Citizen Services section at to obtain a list of local attorneys. 

Financial Assistance

The Consular Section assists Americans overseas in financial trouble. When a destitute U.S. citizen turns to the Consular Section for help, the Section first attempts to locate private sources of funds, usually from family, friends, or business associates. After these private funds are identified, the Section helps in transmitting the funds to the individual through State Department facilities.

Medical Assistance

Consular officers facilitate handling the serious problem of Americans who become physically or mentally ill while traveling or living abroad. The officer assists in locating family members, guardians, and friends in the United States and advising them of the problem, identifying and transmitting private funds when necessary. When necessary the officer also assists in the return of the ill or injured individual to the United States via commercial air.

Please contact the American citizens Services section directly at to obtain a list of local doctors.

Death of American Citizens

When an American dies abroad, the consular officer notifies the next of kin or legal representative. The officer provides guidance on how to make arrangement for local burial or return of the body to the United States according to the preference of the next of kin. The State Department has no funds to assist in the return of ashes or remains of U.S. citizens who die abroad.

Welfare and Whereabouts

In welfare and whereabouts cases, the Consular Section tries to obtain all pertinent data available on the individuals, and based on the information available, attempts to locate the individuals, determine their welfare, pass on any urgent messages, and, consistent with the Privacy Act, report back the results of their search efforts.

Alerts & Warnings 

Is Cameroon party to the Hague Abduction Convention? No 
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? No 
Cameroon is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Cameroon and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.

Embassies and Consulates:

Exercising custody rights
It is important for parents to understand that, although a left behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a valid custody order, if the parent attempts to gain access to the child, the parent’s actions may be illegal in the country where the child is physically present and may ultimately delay the child’s return and even result in the parent’s detention.  To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney.  For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

The U.S. government cannot legally interfere with the judicial system of another sovereign nation.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747.