Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Welcome to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde


This section gives information to anyone who is planning to travel to the United States of America on either a Non-Immigrant Visa (temporary stay) or Immigrant Visa (permanent stay).  We hope you will use the information provided on this website to learn about the different types of U.S. visas, the application process and requirements for a U.S. visa

Non-Immigrant Visas

Nonimmigrant visas are for international travelers whose stay in the U.S. will be temporary. This visa allows you to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (airport, for example) and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security immigration inspector to enter the U.S. A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States.

Interviews are conducted by appointment (available only online) Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Immigrant Visas

Applicants wishing to permanently move to the U.S. must apply for an immigrant visa.  Generally, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen or permanent resident relative(s) or by a prospective employer in order to be eligible for an immigrant visa.

The Diversity Visa Program also provides another option for a certain number of permanent resident visas annually.

Interviews are conducted by appointment on Mondays and Fridays

Plan Ahead!  Take the time to learn about the process and schedule your appointment at least a month before your travel date.  Waiting times for appointments vary depending on the workload of the embassy and its commitments.  It is your responsibility to plan ahead to ensure that you will be able to travel when you would like.

Note: Starting on October 1,2011, the United States Embassy in Cameroon will require Cameroon citizens applying for immigrant and non-immigrant visas to present machine-readable passports. Older hand-written passports lack security features that protect against counterfeiters. This requirement does not apply to travelers with diplomatic and service passports.

Travel & Tourism in the U.S.

  • Tourism Badge